Binge Drinking is the number one cause of Alcohol Poisoning. It has more to do with how fast you drink, than how much. Medical Sources define "Binge Drinking" as downing 4 to 5 drinks in a quickly, in a row. If you drink the same amount at a rate of no more than one an hour; you may still be arrested for DUI; but you will significantly reduce your risk of suffering from alcohol poisoning. The age group most vulnerable to binge drinking is 16 to 25, with a majority underage 21 drinkers. Many are unaware of the consequences of an Arizona DUI conviction, or dangers of binge drinking.
"What is a Drink?"
One drink is equal to:
• 12 ounces of beer;
• 3 to 5 ounces of wine;
• 1 ounce to 1.5 ounces of 80-86 proof distilled liquor
How Liquor is Metabolized
Alcohol (Ethanol) is processed by the body's liver. It takes about one hour for the body to process or metabolize a drink of liquor or Ethanol (drinking alcohol). Other factors besides speed at which a person drinks; amount and type of alcohol include speed of metabolism; food consumption; height; weight, age, tolerance, other medications. Alcohol will continue to be released into the bloodstream, after a person finishes a drink, no matter how fast a person is drinking. Subsequently, the level of alcohol in the body (BAC) will continue to rise, even though they are not actively drinking.
Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning
Classic symptoms of alcohol poisoning may include:
• Slow or irregular breathing;
• Pale or bluish skin;
• Low body temperature;
• Severe dizziness;
• Passing out or unconsciousness
What to Do if You See Signs of Alcohol Poisoning
• If the person is conscious - And demonstrating two or more signs above, call your local poison control center or 800-222-1222 (within the U.S.A.) or visit the official website at http://www.poison.org ; or
• Call Local hospital E.R, or urgent care facility;
• Be prepared to tell the urgent care or poison control operator the location of the person; how much; what they drank;, and when they drank;
• If a person is unconscious - call 911 or your local emergency number immediately;
• Never Leave an unconscious person alone; Don't assume they will sleep it off. If they are suffering from alcohol poisoning, it could be fatal.
Even if a person does not demonstrate any of the above classic signs and symptoms you should contact poison control or #911 if they become unconscious.
Tips to Avoiding Binge Drinking (If you are going to drink)
1) Know how much you can safely drink;
2) Know the type of liquor you are drinking and it's proof;
3) If you are going to drink, make sure you eat either before or while drinking;
4) Decide in advance how much you can safely drink and do not exceed that amount;
5) If you are on any medications, consult your doctor before drinking alcohol
Tips to Avoiding Getting a DUI (If you are going to drink)
1) Appoint a Designated Driver before you go out;
2) Select someone who you can trust or depend on, to call if you drink to too much and need a ride home. Make sure that person agrees in advance, and let them know you will be drinking and make sure they will be available if needed to drive you home;
3) If your friends ask you to give them your car keys because they think you have had too much to drink, don't argue, give them the keys;
4) Call a taxi cab; Pick up your vehicle when you can safely drive ( 24-48 hours later.)
5) Don't drink and drive.
Underage 21 DUI Charges Tempe AZ
You should always carry the contact information of a DUI or criminal defense attorney with you. If you are arrested for DUI, you should consult them as soon as possible. You should not plead guilty to DUI before you discuss your matter with a qualified criminal attorney. The consequences for DUI convictions in Arizona are severe and include jail time, suspension or denial of driver's license; ignition interlock device on your vehicle; alcohol or drug education screening and counseling, and other penalties ordered by the court. If retained your criminal defense attorney will defend your charges; guide you through the criminal case stages and work to get you the best resolution possible in your case.
Law Office of James Novak
4500 S. Lakeshore Drive
Tempe AZ 85282
Arizona DUI, DWI, Drunk Driving & Criminal Defense Firm
Serving Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Phoenix & Scottsdale AZ
Free Consultation! Call (480) 413-1499
The Medical Content in this article was obtained from public website resources available on the Internet.